Roderick Haig-Brown Park was first set aside for public use in 1977, and in 1978 BC Parks and DFO put on the first joint "Salute to the Sockeye" in the park. Fisheries and Oceans Canada and the Pacific Salmon Commission have produced an event on or near the site since 1958. In 1991 Roderick Haig-Brown gained full status as a Class "A" park. BC Parks initiated the idea to establish a non-profit organization to assist in developing a concept plan for the Park so in 1993 the wheels were set in motion to form the Adams River Salmon Society, sometimes formerly also called "Friends of Haig-Brown Park." The Adams River Salmon Society was incorporated February 22, 1994
The Adams River Salmon Society currently operates from a cabin located in Roderick Haig Brown Park.